Low Carb Spaghetti Arrabbiata
- 300g wholemeal spaghetti (£0.42)
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes (£0.56)
- 1 brown onion (£0.49/3) = (£0.16)
- 200g bacon lardons (£1.09)
- 250g chestnut mushrooms (£0.77)
- 3 courgettes (£0.94)
- Bunch of fresh basil (£0.35)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules
- Salt & Pepper
Subbing some of the spaghetti for some courgettie reduces the cals, increases the nutrients and mixes up the texture. I understand that this isn’t a traditional arrabbiata sauce given that there are no chillis, but you get a similar effect with red pepper/ garlic combo minus the stress of blending chillis.
- Start by washing the mushrooms and roughly chopping them. Add them to a large saucepan with a tbsp of olive oil on a high heat. Fry for around 5 minutes before reducing the heat to medium and adding the bacon lardons.
- Meanwhile, slice the onions and add them once the fat has rendered from the bacon along with the garlic granules & red pepper flakes. Reduce the heat and gently fry until the onions are translucent (approx 6 mins).
- During this time, spiralize the courgette and get that arm work out in.
- Once the onion is translucent, you can add the chopped tomatoes along with one tin full of water. Season with salt and pepper, reducing to a simmer timer set to 30M.
- When there’s 10 mins left on the timer, start cooking your spaghetti.
- Add the spaghetti to your spicy tomato sauce with the courgettie and divide into your meal prep containers. If your courgettie is thicc then you can blanch it in the pasta water for 1 minute. Mine was thin and I didn’t want to lose the volume so added it in raw. (Still soft and easy to eat).
Meal prep schedule: 3 in fridge for the week, 2 in freezer cycle.
Hope you like it! Xxx