Spanish Tortilla with Tomato Frito
- 6 eggs (£0.90)
- 3 tins of small new potatoes (£1.17)
- 2 medium onions (£0.48)
- 2 tins of plum tomatoes (£0.56)
- Fresh chives (£0.50)
- Baby leaf salad (£0.77)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
1. Chop your onions into slices and add to a large frying pan with a tbsp of oil. Sauté for 10 minutes, I know this is longer than usual but it really brings out the flavour.
2. While the onions are frying, drain and chop the potatoes into quarters and pat dry with a tea-towel.
3. After 10 mins, add the potatoes in the pan with the onions and fry for 5 mins.
4. Meanwhile, whisk the 6 eggs together in a large bowl and season with plenty of salt.
5. Once the potatoes and onions have been cooking for a further five mins, add them to the egg bowl to mix together.
6. Wipe the same pan down and add 2 tbsp of olive oil, make sure the pan is evenly coated and then pour the tortilla mix in. Shake the pan gently so that the potatoes evenly distribute. Leave to fry for 10 mins, moving the pan around every couple of minutes to prevent sticking.
7. Meanwhile, add a tbsp of olive oil to a separate frying pan on a high heat and pour in the plum tomatoes with a pinch of salt.
8. After the eggs have been cooking for around 10 minutes, they should be soft on top but cooked underneath. You can then grab a big plate, place it on top of the pan and bravely flip it so that the tortilla is on the plate. You then lower the tortilla back into the pan to cook the other side. (Adrenaline rush)
9. Cook for further 10 mins.
10. Once this has cooked, the tomato frito can be blended or mashed with a potato masher. Serve up with some fresh chopped chives.