Creamy Vegan Broccoli and Kale soup
£0.77 Per Portion
- 1 broccoli head (£0.60)
- 100g/ 2 handfuls of kale (£0.50)
- 1 onion (£0.69/3)= (£0.23)
- 3 cloves of garlic (£0.62)
- 75g unsalted cashews (£1.29/2)=(£0.65)
- Bunch of fresh basil (£0.48)
- 2 veggie stock cubes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Chilli flakes
- Salt & Pepper
No dairy products but all the creaminess. #praisetothecashew
- Start by adding the cashews to a bowl with room temp water to soak.
- After you’ve done this, dice the onion and garlic so it’s ready to throw into the pan.
- Add 1tbsp of olive oil to a large saucepan on a medium heat and pour the onion and garlic. Gently fry for around 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the broccoli into florets and rinse along with the kale in a colander.
- Once the onions are translucent, add the greens and a handful of fresh basil to the pan with 800ml of the stock as well. Reduce the heat to a simmer, timer set to 10 minutes.
- When timer is almost up, drain the soaked cashews and add them into a blender with the remaining stock.
- Using a hand blender, blend the soup until smooth. Once you get the desired consistency, pour in the cashew cream and stir.
- I saved some of the cashew cream to do the swirl and make it look all pretty but this is just for the gram. Season with salt, pepper and optional chilli flakes if you like it hot.