Loaded Chicken Teriyaki Rice
- 600g diced chicken breast (£2.99)
- 1kg frozen mixed vegetables (£0.79)
- 50g spring onions (£0.44)
- 2 x packets wholegrain microwave rice (£0.90)
- Honey (£0.99)
- Soy sauce (£0.45)
- Rice wine vinegar (£1.84)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 veggie stock cube
- Start by adding a tbsp of olive oil to a large saucepan on a medium heat. Pour in the diced chicken breast along with a tbsp of soy sauce. If some of the chicken pieces are large, cut them with some scissors (big pieces=longer cook time=drier chicken).
- Fry for around 8 minutes on high before adding a tbsp of honey and reducing the heat slightly. This will help to add a bit of texture to the chicken as the honey will help to get a sear on the pieces.
- Continue to fry for a further 5 minutes and then remove the chicken from the pan.
- During this time, you can slice the spring onion into thin pieces to use as a garnish at the end.
- Deglaze the pan with 300ml of vegetable stock, using a whisk to bring up any chicken pieces stuck to the bottom (#flavour).
- Pour the frozen veg mix into pan and cover with a lid for 5 minutes or until cooked through.
- Once it’s cooked, stir in the wholegrain rice and cook for a further two minutes.
- During this time, combine 4 tbsp of soy sauce, 1 tbsp of honey and 1tbsp of rice wine vinegar in a bowl so that it’s ready to pour into the loaded rice.
- Stir in the sauce along with the chicken to combine. Pop in your meal prep tupperwares and garnish with the spring onions and chilli flakes. On consumption you can add a drizzle more of soy sauce!
I froze half the batch to save for next week and the rest to eat throughout this week. When it comes to reheating, ensure you follow the regular rules when it comes to storing the rice. So make sure you refrigerate the rice immediately when it’s cooled down enough to put in the fridge (just not hot). The risk of food poisoning arises when you leave it at room temperature for long periods, so obvs lets try and avoid this. I’ve never got ill from reheated rice but thought I’d mention this as I get a lot of dms about it.