Spicy Red Lentil and Chorizo burgers
- 300g red lentils (£1.00)
- 100g chorizo (£1.89/2)=(£0.95)
- 3 cloves garlic (£0.10)
- 1 egg (£0.15)
- 4 tbsp breadcrumbs (£0.80)
- Bunch of fresh parsley (£0.29)
- 250ml Greek yogurt (£0.69)
- 1/2 lime (£1.05/5)=(£0.21)
- 450g (1 large bag) spinach (£1.42)
- 1 veggie stock cube
- 1 tbsp olive oil
1. Start by adding the red lentils to a large saucepan with 1 litre of stock. Simmer on high for 10 minutes then reduce to medium/low heat, timer set to 20M.
2. Finely dice the chorizo & garlic. This is a work out, sorry in advance.
3. Add the chorizo to a large frying pan on a low heat, allowing the fat to slowly render. Once the chorizo is looking all nice and greasy (after about 6 mins), add the garlic and red pepper flakes and fry for 5 more mins. Keep the heat low so the garlic doesn’t burn.
4. Once the lentils have cooked, drain them in a sieve and add to the frying pan with the chorizo. Heat until the mixture is thick.
5. Pour the lentil mix into a large bowl and combine with an egg and 4 tbsp of breadcrumbs.
6. Using your hands, mould into patties and fry with a tbsp of oil. You should get about 15 burgers from this batch, I cooked 9 to prep 3 lunches then fried the remaining 6 later on in the week.
7. Finely chop a handful of fresh parsley and add it to the yogurt with the juice of half a lime and a generous pinch of salt.
8. Serve on a bed of spinach with the parsley dressing and you’ve got yourself a healthy, satisfying packed lunch.