It takes around 10 minutes to prep all of the ingredients for this peanut butter rice krispie treats recipe and then you just need to wait patiently (ok this could be hard) for it to set in the fridge.
Table of Contents
There’s so many reasons to love this peanut butter rice krispie treats recipe.
Firstly, there’s only 4 ingredients: peanut butter, honey, rice krispies & chocolate. With 2/4 of those ingredients being cupboard staples.
Secondly, it couldn’t be easier to make in just 10 minutes! .
Plus because this is a recipe for peanut butter rice krispie treats without marshmallow, the prep/cleaning process is a lot easier. No sticky mess here!
For ease, I say to use a runny peanut butter for this rice krispie treat recipe. If you use a really firm peanut butter, it’s harder to combine with the honey. You can use crunchy or smooth peanut butter.
We aren’t brand snobs with this recipe – no need to buy actual rice krispies, buy your supermarket’s budget equivalent as we are going to be adding the flavour and texture in this recipe. I used these ‘rice snaps’ from Asda.
To sweeten our peanut butter rice krispie treats, I use honey, as it’s readily available in most people’s cupboards. You could also use maple syrup or agave nectar if you have that instead.
Milk Chocolate/Dark Chocolate
You can choose which chocolate you’d like to use here, as it’s a matter of preference. I chose milk chocolate as a few people in my house don’t like dark, but I reckon dark chocolate would contrast really nicely with the sweet peanuty base.
2. Place in the microwave for 15 seconds on a medium heat to loosen and then mix together (Image 2).
3. To that, pour the rice crispies into the bowl and mix together until all is combined (Image 3).
4. Line a rectangular dish with some cling film. I used a 10 inch by 7 inch glass dish or for thicker slices use an 8 inch by 6 inch dish. Then pour the mixture into the dish and spread out evenly (Image 4).
5. Heat the chocolate over in a glass bowl placed over boiling water until melted (Image 5).
6. Pack in tightly by adding some pressure by pressing firmly using a solid object (I used a glass measuring jug) into the dish (Image 6).
7. Pour the melted chocolate into the dish and spread using a spatula (Image 7).
8. Place in the fridge for a couple of hours, or if you are in a rush place in the freezer for 1 hour and the crispy treats are ready to eat (Image 8).
Press the Rice Krispie mix firmly into the dish. I used a glass measuring jug, but any heavy object will do! This will help ensure that the treats hold together well and are easy to cut.
Careful when melting the chocolate as you don’t want it to burn. I used a glass bowl over boiling water but you can use the microwave but only use short amounts of time ie 15 second intervals, to check on the chocolate.
Allow the chocolate topping to cool in the fridge for at least an hour/preferably 2, before cutting them into squares. This will make the krispie rice treats easier to handle and slice into squares/rectangles.
You can! I used smooth runny peanut butter, but you could definitely use chunky (still runny if possible) for some added texture.
Yes! Just be careful not to burn the chocolate. Add in the microwave and heat for 15 seconds at a time, stirring/rotating the chocolate after each 15 seconds. Once it’s melted follow the same steps as the rest of the healthy peanut butter rice crispy treats recipe.
You can, but you might need to add more honey a splash of water to be able to get the paste-like texture that you see in the process shots. This may affect the final result, but I’m sure the end result would still be delicious.
Sadly this recipe is not gluten free as the rice krispies/rice snaps include malt in the ingredients, which comes from barley (which contains gluten). To make this recipe gluten free, use a GR rice cereal.
These homemade rice krispie treats can be made vegan by substituting honey for maple syrup & the milk chocolate to dark chocolate.
If you tried this Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats recipe, it would be mean so much to me if you could leave a review & a star rating to let me know how you found it! I love hearing about your experiences – it motivates me to keep creating more and more recipes for you guys 💛 Let’s get cooking! – Mimi x