- 2 sourdough baguettes (£0.89)
- 8 vine tomatoes (£0.96)
- 1/2 red onion (£0.65/6)=(£0.11)
- 1 clove garlic (£0.10)
- Bunch of fresh basil (£0.48)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
I’ve had some requests to make some more snack ideas rather than just main meals. These lil bites take 10 minutes to whip up and they’re so satisfying. Ideal if you’re working from home or need a snack just as you get in the door.
Preheat oven to 180°C
1. Start by chopping the baguettes into slices approx 1 inch wide. Using a brush, thinly coat one side of the bread with a drizzle of the olive oil and place on a baking tray. Pop in the oven timer set to 10M.
2. Start by mincing the garlic and sprinkle a pinch of salt onto it. Using the side of your knife, press and slide the knife over the garlic to make a paste (the salt will help to do this).
3. Add the garlic into a large mixing bowl with drizzle 2 tbsp of olive oil.
4. Finely slice a handful of fresh basil and add this to the oil and whisk.
5. Finely dice the vine tomatoes and red onion and add them to the basil oil. Fold the bruschetta mix until its combined and season with salt.
6. Serve the bruschetta mix onto the bread you’re going to eat right away and store the rest.
For storage, if you’re worried about the elements going bad after a few days (mine was ok!) you could prep half the batch and make the other half later on in the week.
Keep the tomato mix in a separate container and microwave the bread pieces for 15 seconds before eating.